Life has been fun this past week. Less than one day after posting about the June 9 rain, it started raining again. Its been slower this time, in the past 18 hours, we’ve gotten about an inch. Nonetheless, it has cooled everything off quite a bit, and provided a great deal of free water. In addition to the original rain barrel we put out, I added 3 “homer buckets”, which filled in the first couple of hours. Just now, I added 3 more plastic containers that are now filling nicely.
The original bucket and a plastic container, positioned to also catch some of the overflow out of the original rain barrel.
A full “homer” bucket on the front stoop.
The second “homer” bucket and the second of three plastic containers.
Forecast says to expect rain for several more days, so it shouldn’t be a problem filling these three new plastic containers.
The compost is coming along very nicely. I’m planning to start some seeds this weekend, so I’ll start sifting out the fine stuff soon. I’m very excited… the first bin was filled again with fresh grass clippings yesterday (beating the rain by an hour at the most).
All is growing wonderfully in the garden. Any ideas as to what type of gourd this is? It came in a packets of “mixed gourd seed”, and I’ve seen at least 3 types of gourds so far. I’m planning to dry them and maybe I can make some decorations out of them, or sell them for others make decorations for the fall. Hmmm….
I decided to make 1 big bed, instead of 4 small beds. After talking with a friend at school, I realized roto-tilling will be easier and I have more space for planting and I can mix up where I plant stuff more easily. Plus, its fewer cinder blocks! I’ve got the last nine to purchase and put out, which I think I can do once the rain stops.
The cayenne chili plant is producing prolifically, so I decided to hang and dry them. They are up in the garage, and I add 3 or 4 peppers every few days. Hubby loves spicy food, so its hard to have too many spicy peppers. I’ve got plans for 2 cayenne plants for the fall.
I’ve also tried my hand at canning again. The canning of huckleberries worked just fine, it was just that the huckleberry jam wasn’t so good. This time, I went for canning salsa. I used the “Better Homes and Gardens” recipe, using more spicy peppers than called for (and fewer sweet peppers). So far, its been a hit with both Hubby and I. I just hope 5 pints will last till the next tomato harvest.
I’m making pizza sauce today, with plans to can it. I’ll dedicate a post to that process, when I know the final results. I’m all about figuring it out myself, so I should wait till its all done to know if it was successful or not.
Gosh, rainy days are nice.